What causes diarrhoea after taking Clarithromycin for chest infection?
My chest feels much better (I was on amoxicillan two weeks ago but it didn't much help) and I am keen to complete the course but don't know whether I should because of my diarrhoea.
I haven't been going more frequently (just twice, usually at the end of the day) but it is loose and as I said has mucus in it.
I would rather not discontinue and be put on my third antibiotic but obviously i don't want to develop bowel or gastric problems.I want to also ask if your advice is to discontinue with biaxin then do you think my infection might get worse?
Thanks for the query.
It is very common to have loose motions on consumption of antibiotics.
Since you have only couple of them,there is no need to discontinue your antibiotic at ths stage.
Take plenty of fluids to prevent dehydration and add some lactobacillus to your treatment.
You can take this twice a day.
You should be feeling better after taking lactobacillus as it supports your tummy.
I hope it helps,however ypu may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Atypical chest infection causes
- Pneumococcal chest infections causes
- What causes recurring chest infection in a baby
- Chest infection causes
- Bacterial chest infection causes
- Chronic chest infection causes
- Viral chest infection causes
- Frequent chest infections causes
- What causes chest infection and coughing
- What causes mysterious chest infection