What causes diarrhea,cold sweats and dizziness after a double bypass surgery?

Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist

Posted on Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hello, my mother recently (2 and 1/2 months ago to be exact) had double bypass surgery. She is 59 years old, weighs 190 lbs and is 5'2. She has had a history of high blood pressure, is diabetic and has had acute renal failure. My question is that her diastolic blood pressure has been high lately with it reaching an average of 103-110 while the highest her systolic has been since her CABG surgery has been about 165. Could you please tell me what could be causing her blood pressure especially the diastolic number to increase? Today she experienced diarrhea, cold sweats, she felt clammy, weak and dizzy. Later the same day she said her heart was beating fast for a few minutes and had to lay down. She has made an appointment to see her cardiologist, but till then I was hoping to get some sort of reassurance or understanding. Thank you in advance!
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Blood pressure

Detailed Answer:
Sorry to note your mother's blood pressure problems.

It would be important to do a few tests to rule out some conditions that can potentially explain these symptoms.

CBC
CMP
TSH
Free T4
Plasma free metanephrines

An underactive thyroid can raise diastolic blood pressure. The above tests will give us an idea if she has that. An overactive thyroid can elevate blood pressure too and cause heart racing as well.

Then there is a rare condition called Pheochromocytoma, which results in episodes of high blood pressure along with dizziness and fast heart beat and sweating. The 'plasma free metanephrines' test will screen for that.

I am glad to know you have a doctors' appointment soon for her. In the meanwhile, just keep an eye on her blood pressure and in case of worrisome symptoms, I reckon there would be no option other than going to an ER