What causes diarrhea?

Dr. Guru

Posted on Mon, 21 Apr 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: hello have had loose watery stools for over a week intial first days had a 102 temp.no vomiting...fever waxes and wanes to around 100.6.. but diahrrea continues..maybe 5-10 movenets a day..what could it be? went to fam doc says i have nonspecific colitis..gave me Cipro which i dont want to take..
Answered by Dr. Guru 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Your symptoms sounds like bacterial, viral or para Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for consulting HealthcareMagic! Your symptoms sounds like bacterial, viral or parasitic infection. Chances of being viral are less, since it mostly subsides on it's own in a week. Your doctor would have given an epmpiric antibiotic Cipro thinking it as bacterial infection. If you do not want to take it, get a stool test for ova, parasite, culture and sensitivity. On the other hand, as you have loose stools from more than a week, you might have got dehydrated and would have lost electrolytes. So, you may need fluid replacement as early as possible since it may be serious. Hope I have answered your query. If you are satisfied, you may now close the discussion and rate the answer. If you like my answers and wish me to answer in future, bring it to my attention: Dr Vasanth. Url link is as follows: http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-vasanth/66057 Wish you good health!
Follow up: Dr. Guru 1 hour later
hello thanks for reply.. #1 is Cipro safe to take..? #2 my temp can range from 97.0 to 100.6 on a giving day is that signifiacnt?..thanks for expertise
Answered by Dr. Guru 10 hours later
Brief Answer: ery rare side are effects will be there as for any Detailed Answer: #1 is Cipro safe to take..? It is usually safe in individuals who are not allergic to it. However, very rare side are effects will be there as for any other medications. But, as I did not do physical examination, I cannot say for sure whether it is completely good for you or not. #2 my temp can range from 97.0 to 100.6 on a giving day is that significant? Yes, it is significant and should be addressed, particularly as you have associated loose motions. Hope I have answered your query. If you are satisfied, you may now close the discussion and rate the answer. If you like my answers and wish me to answer in future, bring it to my attention: Dr Vasanth. Url link is as follows: http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-vasanth/66057 Wish you good health!