What causes diarrhea with mucus in stool?

Dr. Ivo Ditah

Posted on Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Diarrhea x 4 days - no nausea, fever, or cramps. Now strings and small clumps of white tissue-like substance in formed stool. No other symptoms. Would you tell me what could be causing this? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to get worried right now!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this finding in your stool that you have reported. For now, it Is very non specific and would be difficult to tell what this is. I believe it is a transient observation with no major pathological significance that would resolve spontaneously without the need of any aggressive medical intervention.

For now, monitor to see if it persists or new symptoms set in that may be more guiding towards identifying the cause and orienting investigations. Drink enough fluids as to replace that lost through frequent and watery stools. This will prevent dehydration which is the most feared complication of diarrhea.

I hope you find the above helpful. feel free to ask for more information and clarifications. I wish you well and do keep me updated about this observed difference in your stools.