• question-icon

What causes diarrhea while teething in a child?

Posted on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 in Child Health
Question: My baby is 11 months old. He is passing stool 4 times a day which is somewhat abnormal as compared to his normal routine. However the stool is not watery . He is a teething baby. I just want to know is there anything to worry about. Is there any medicine for it. My baby is having calcarea phosphorica twice a day. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Nothing to worry about it - use zinc supplements for 2 weeks

Detailed Answer:
Hi.... I understand your concern. This is not because of teething as it is commonly thought of.

Usually to reduce the sensation of teething kids keep everything in mouth, what they get hold of to chew. So the bacteria or dirt on it goes into the mouth and causes diarrhoea or like what you are describing.

Unless the kid's having low urine output or very dull or excessively sleepy or blood in motion or green bilious vomiting...you need not worry.

I suggest you use zinc supplements (Z&D drops 1ml once daily for 14 days)

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology