What causes diarrhea while on Lactulose for liver disease?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Sat, 24 Mar 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: If I need to take actulose every day for liver disease, will I always have the issue of uncontrolled bowel movements which would basically make me housebound?

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I am sorry but thats the primary effect of lactulose.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear patient,
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query.
Have gone through your details and i appreciate your concerns.
I can very well understand the level of frustration you must be feeling but we can't do much about it. Lactulose is very effective in patients with hepatic encephalopathy and comparing the pros to cons(loose stools) optimal dose of lactulose has to be taken-this one is theoretical approach.

You could try taking 2 tsf of isabghul husk( Psyllium husk)2 hour before taking lactuose. It increases the bulk of stool as this husk swells up in intestines.This could help you a bit with bowel movements.
Second approach is you can take imodium 2-8 mg sos basis(over the counter).Main reason for using lactulose in your case is hepatic encephalopathy so a constipating agent can be used to counter the primary effect of lactulose(laxative)-You would gain control over your bowel and lactulose would take care of your encephalopathy-This is a clinical approach.

Hope you got your answer my dear patient.
Feel free to follow up.
Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj