What causes diarrhea while on Insulin and Metadoze?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Diabetes
Question: Hi my mom is 57 yrs old now. She is diabetic and takes insulin daily and tablet metadoze. She has frequent loose motions and it stays for about 3-4 days and again reoccurs after a week or so. Please suggest.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 5 hours later
Brief answer....needs evaluation
Detailed answer....
I have read your query  and understand your concern very well.
Off and on diarrohea for more than 6 months can be because of various reasons ranging from...
Use of drugs and chemicals like ..
Metformin,pain killers,statins,sugar free sweeteners( generally used by diabetics ),persistent use of antibiotics etc
Diabetic neuropathy or hyperthyroidism
Conditions like irritable syndrome,crohn's disease,coeliac disease.
And to even conditions like..
Colorectal cancer.

Since diarrohea is chronic and the causes being so many varied,what you need is to consult a gastroenterologist and get comprehensively investigated and evaluated by getting tests ranging from various blood tests,stool test,CT abdomen,colonoscopy and sigmoidoscopy with  possible biopsy.
Treatment would depend upon the cause identified.
I hope it helps,however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks