What causes diarrhea while on Augmentin for tooth extraction?

Dr. Divakara

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I had a tooth extraction and bone graft done last Monday for my lower jaw. since that procedure, I have had diarrhea.
I am not taking any pain medications but am taking an antibiotic, and have since finished them. This has been for over a week now as of today
Are these two related? I am having a gout attack in my lower foot and it is the first such bout in over 5 years. I have changed my eating and ater consumption, which has stopped these attacks. I am concerned I might have some type of infection???
Answered by Dr. Divakara 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It's not infection.

Detailed Answer:
HI

Greetings from Dr.Divakara.P

Well , diarrhea is a very common side effect of Augmentin . So we can easily assume that your doarrhea is due to side effect of Augmentin. This diarrhea stops on its own once antibiotic is stopped.

If diarrhea is 3 or less than 3 times per day then you can continue taking Augmentin. You can also take a probiotic like Sporolac till you complete the course of Augmentin.

But if you are having loose motions more than 3 times per day then you need to stop Augmentin, take probiotic and ask your dentist for an alternate antibiotic.

Hope this information was useful to you.
Any clarifications feel free to ask.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D