What causes diarrhea, vomiting, headache and dizziness?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 31 Jul 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have been throwing up and diarrhea headache dizziness just since this morning
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Stomach flu.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Very likely its gastroenteritis,usually gastroenteritis is caused by viral infection(Nova virus) and is self limiting,Takes five to sevendays,Sometimes it can be bacterial or protozoal infection or a mixed infection.Loss of fluid and electrolyte causes dizziness and headache.Drink plenty of water and electrolytes to maintain rehydration.Take lots of orange juice and coconut water.
I would suggest you to go for few tests
Ultra sound abdomen
Stool test under microscope
Complete blood count
Total and differential leucocyte count.

If stool test is positive for bacterial or protozoal infection.Start taking Zithromax(Azithromycin 500 mg once daily) and secnidazole 1 gram daily for 5 days.
Tablet zofran 4 mg to be taken for nausea.
Tab imodium 4mg stat folowed by 2 mg twice daily can be added to contriol frequency of motions
Eat light and easily digestible food.
Take curd and rice.

Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana