What causes diarrhea, vomiting and hypertension post a nephrectomy?

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in Cancer
Question: My mother have gone thru a nephrectomy of left kidney due to RCC. She has a fourth stage RCC, and nodules are visible in lungs and some lesions in liver. She started medication (votrient 800mg once daily) from Sep 2013 and continuing till now. From last two years we see that the nodules in lungs which was reduced has no activity (Regular PET CT in 6 months with tolerable blood test like KFT and LFT). The 800 mg Votrient dose has very serious side effect on day to day life like she is having Diarrhea, womitting, mucle pain, loose motions and hyper tension. My purpose to ask question is that, since lung nodules are very tiny, can we reduce her dosage from 400mg, as she is completing 4 years now on medication. Will share reports if required. Thnx
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello dear. You can try a lower dose

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear.

I have gone through the details. Since the disease is well controlled, you can go for a lower dose like 400 and 800 mg alternate day. If that is not tolerated, then go for 400 mg per day. You can also add regular probiotic drug like vsl3 capsule.

Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 2 days later
Thanks Doctor for your Quick response.

Is PET CT and Blood Tests are required after dose change and when we can have the same if you recommend and is it to be done yearly or half-yearly.

Since she is taking 800mg daily, can we give her 800mg alternative day or 400 mg per day. Please suggest.

Thanx

Abhishaik Sharma (0000)
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello. 800 mg alternate day is ok

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear. 800 mg alternate day is ok. Petct can be done at every 3 or 4 mth interval. If stable then even at 6 mth interval will be ok.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Deepak Sundriyal

Oncologist