What causes diarrhea, spasms and contractions?

Dr. Suresh Raghavaiah

Gastroenterologist, Surgical

Posted on Mon, 10 Nov 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I had my gallbladder removed about 3 months ago. At first, I did well. The last three weeks I've been having problems with diarrhea (big problem before the surgery) and right-sided spasms and contractions. The spasms are annoying but not particularly painful. The diarrhea can come on very suddenly, sometimes immediately after eating and other times not. My stomach is noisy (lots of rumbling and grumbling) and feels unsettled. Should I go back to the GI doctor for a colonoscopy and/other tests? I'm 43 and have never had a colonoscopy.
Thanks for your help.
Answered by Dr. Suresh Raghavaiah 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
GI Consult Advisable

Detailed Answer:
My name is Dr Suresh Raghavaiah. I am a surgical Gastroenterologist and I hope to answer your question today.

I am sorry that you are having all these issues after the cholecystectomy. Most patients do suffer temporary episodes of loose stools after a cholecystectomy. But three months is a long time for it to persist. Also i understand the diarrhoea was a problem before the surgery also.

One thing you need to figure out is if any specific foods are causing you this problem. Most people usually suffer from your symptoms after a fatty meal. Still others with celiac disease or gluten insensitivity usually suffer from similar symptoms.

So in order to pin point the cause of all your symptoms, I would advise you to contact a Gastroenterologist. You will probably end up getting a screening colonoscopy, but you will have to undergo stool testing for sure.

One rare possibility is a hospital acquired C. Diff infection but this is very rare especially in heathy people and who have not taken prolonged course of antibiotics. I am sure your doctor will check for this also.

Hope this helps and hope you feel better. Please do not hesitate to contact me for further clarifications

have a great day

Dr Suresh Raghavaiah
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E