What causes diarrhea, severe nausea and vomiting while on Macrobid for UTI?

Dr. Baranidharan Kuselan

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist

Posted on Wed, 24 Aug 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: hello. I'm day 4 of a 10 day course of the antibiotic macrobid for a urinary tract infection. I'm not sure if the diarrhea, severe nausea and vomiting are side effects of the medication or something else. the burning of the uti is significantly better but not gone however the urgency and frequency is not improving. my temperature although elevated slightly has not risen above 100.5F

was wondering if I can take something like bepto mismol or gravol to manage the symptoms being that I'm on the blood thinner eloquis 5mg 2x a day and metformin 500mg also 2x a day. I am not diabetic but take it for controlling poly cystic ovary syndrome. I'm finding it next to impossible to eat however my fluid intake although less then normal is still OK.
Answered by Dr. Baranidharan Kuselan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes. Take Pepto Bismol, Zantac and Probiotics

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,
Thanks for posting in HCM.
I am Dr.Barani and I am pleased to assist you.

Yes, diarrhea, nausea and vomiting are known side effects of macrobid.
Drink enough fluids to remain well hydrated.

Yes you can take Pepto Bismol for symptom relief.
Take Zantac and Probiotics also along with it.

Dr.Barani
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T