What causes diarrhea post a chemotherapy procedure?

Posted on Tue, 18 Apr 2017 in General Health
Question: Hello Dr. XXXXXXX As per your recommendation, we went ahead with the Chemo for my mother for her breast carcinoma. Post therapy, she had no symptoms for 4 days. From the 5th day she started feeling the heat and she was down very severely. She has lost her taste buds and cannot feel any taste. she stopped taking the food completely and was on liquids. She also had diarrhea and had to be admitted into hospital for 4 days before she was even able to sit up by herself.
What should we do with the next dose of chemo which is scheduled for April 5th? Can we defer it by a month or two? or is there a possibility of converting it to a weekly dose. I heard from one colon cancer survivor that chemo can be administered in a weekly dose. if that is possible, then what happens to the Herceptin dose that is also required every three weeks?
Please guide.
Thanks,
xxxxx XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Jawahar Ticku 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Dear XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
THANKS FOR GIVING BRIEF. FURTHER CHEMOTHERAPY SHALL NOT BE PRESCRIBED BY THE DOCTOR UNLESS HE FINDS HER PHYSICALLY FIT. EVEN THE HEMOGLOBIN, CELL COUNTS AND OTHER KIDNEY FUNCTION AND LIVER FUNCTION TESTS SHOULD BE NORMAL. FOR CONTINUING CHEMO.
YES DOSES CAN BE DIVIDED WITH LESSER INTERVAL BUT THAT IS CUMBERSOME FOR THE PATIENT AS WELL AS THE ATTENDENT.
IF PATIENT DOES NOT FEEL WELL WE CAN DEFER THE DATE FOR FURTHER CHEMOTHERAPY.
IN DUE COURSE SHE WILL TOLERATE BETTER. OF CPORSE INITIAL SIDE EFFECTS WILL BE THERE.
TRULY,
DR. J. TICKU
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Jawahar Ticku

Oncologist