What causes diarrhea, nausea and pain in stomach?

Posted on Wed, 18 Mar 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My husband woke up feeling terrible. Diarrhea, nausea, pain in his guts. I took his temperature, and it's only 95.1. Food poisoning?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
fluids, probiotics, rest bowel and meds

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Yes, based on your description it does sound like food poisoning.

Normally, it runs its course and the symptoms resolve over a few days. In some persons they may last only 24 hours, in others up to a week.

Treatment

(1)The most important aspect of treatment is avoiding or treating dehydration.

He can use either gatorade (replaces fluids and electrolytes) or oral rehydration solutions from the local pharmacy.
Use only small amounts initially ( 1 tsp to 1 tbs) every 5 mins for about an hour, if this is tolerated then the amounts can be increased.

If too much is used initially, vomiting may occur.

(2)avoid solid food until at least a 4 hour period with no diarrhea, nausea or vomiting (if starts)

When food is restarted , small amounts of bland foods should be used initially to make sure can be tolerated.

(3)probiotics- either in a yogurt with probiotics or on their own would help to significantly shorten course of symptoms

(4)medications such lomitil or peptobismol may also help

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Dr. Michelle Gibson James