What causes diarrhea, nausea and pain in stomach?
fluids, probiotics, rest bowel and meds
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic
Yes, based on your description it does sound like food poisoning.
Normally, it runs its course and the symptoms resolve over a few days. In some persons they may last only 24 hours, in others up to a week.
(1)The most important aspect of treatment is avoiding or treating dehydration.
He can use either gatorade (replaces fluids and electrolytes) or oral rehydration solutions from the local pharmacy.
Use only small amounts initially ( 1 tsp to 1 tbs) every 5 mins for about an hour, if this is tolerated then the amounts can be increased.
If too much is used initially, vomiting may occur.
(2)avoid solid food until at least a 4 hour period with no diarrhea, nausea or vomiting (if starts)
When food is restarted , small amounts of bland foods should be used initially to make sure can be tolerated.
(3)probiotics- either in a yogurt with probiotics or on their own would help to significantly shorten course of symptoms
(4)medications such lomitil or peptobismol may also help
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Stomach ache diarrhea nausea
- Body pain fever diarrhea nausea
- Stomach pain diarrhea nausea what should i do
- Diarrhea nausea chest pain cramps
- Gastroenteritis diarrhea nausea stomach pain what should i do
- Having constant diarrhea nausea what could cause this
- Stomach pain diarrhea nausea chills
- Diarrhea nausea heartburn fever cause
- Can food allergy cause abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea or vomiting?
- Stomach pain diarrhea nausea gurgling what could be this