What causes diarrhea, low grade fever, headache and intestinal cramping?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 10 Jun 2016 in Abdominal Pain
Question: With diarrhea, low grade temp, headache, intestinal cramping that comes and goes, and the intestinal pain on lt side of belly button would you think stomachs flu or maybe intestinal blockage? FYI, I am a rn. This started yesterday morning
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
As explained.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
To recapitulate: Female/50 - RN - diarrhea - low grade temperature, headache, cramping that goes and comes, pain left of belly button - started yesterday morning - wants to know whether stomach flu or intestinal blockage....

This does not look like a blockage as there would have been bloating, nausea, vomiting, noisy stomach and no passage of flatus or feces.

This looks to be an intestinal infection: can be bacterial or stomach flu:
Send stool for analysis to get a differential diagnosis. The history of stomach flu in other people/patients in your area may indicate the same thing in you.
If bacterial infection, go for a proper prescription based antibiotic active against intestinal infection, probiotics, and supportive and symptomatic treatment.

If flu, go for probiotics.
In either case maintain fluid and electrolyte balance well.

I hope this answers your query, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.