What causes diarrhea in an infant?

Pediatrician
Question
Hi. My daughter is one year old. I think She is teething. My concern is that since 2-3 days she is remaining so irritated. Also she has loose stools. Frequancy has not increased but consistency has become more loose. And since 2 nights she cries during whole night. I feel she is straining while defeacating despite of loose stool. What do I do?
Posted Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Irshad H Naqvi 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Stomach infection

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear
Welcome to the HCM,
Your child has contacted some stomach infection.
All the symptoms like irritability, night restlessness,loose stools and difficulty in straining explain about the infection in the stomach (probably dysentry).
Stool culture sensitivity will confirm the bug involved and also will guide about the relevant antibiotic ( most probably oflox syrup with doses of 20 mg per kg for about 5 to 7 days) to be used.
Hand to mouth hygiene to be maintained strictly especially in this rainy season.
Bottle to be boiled every time.
Better to avoid bottle feed and try to shift the baby maximum to semisolids food. This will further reduce the chances of stomach infection.
Hope the query is answered.
Please feel free for the further clarification.
Thanks