What causes diarrhea in an infant while on Lomotil?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Child Health
Question: my wife aged 32yrs, is breastfeeding 1yr baby. she is suffering from loose motions. can she take lomotil tablets
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Preferable to avoid Lomotil

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through your query carefully and understand your concerns. Lomotil (Atropine/diphenoxylate) has components that can be secreted in breast milk. Atropine is excreted in breast milk. The major metabolite of diphenoxylate (Diphenoxylic acid) may be excreted in breast milk.

Infants of nursing mothers taking this medication may exhibit some of the side effects of the drug. It would therefore not be advisable to take Lomotil unless considered very essential.

Most often the cause does not need to be treated (unless associated with bloody stools) and the condition is self-limiting. But the lost water and salts need to be replenished. ORS (oral rehydration solution) is the mainstay of treatment and needs to be given.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician