• question-icon

What causes diarrhea in a diabetic?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Diabetes
Question: I am diabetic. My blood glucose reading at 241 p.m. (central time) was 218. I have had diahhrehea Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. I have not given myself any insulin today as the thought of eating just makes me sick to my stomach. I have been sipping on sparkling water (no sodium, no caffeine, no sugar). I had ketoacidosis in December and this is how I felt back then, but at that time my BG reading was in the high 500's. What should I do?
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
first of all, check the ketones in urine:

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I can understand your concern.

You didn't mention the actual insulin regime, but I think it is; a basal insulin plus rapid active before meals.

It is very important to keep rehydrated in periods of diarrhea, but you need also to take some carbohydrates to prevent ketoacidosis. You should not drink only water, try also to eat 3-5 times daily in small portions.

The basal insulin should be done once daily (the dose corrected depending on fasting blood glucose), meanwhile the rapid action may be done before or after eating (if you are not sure how much are you going to eat).

I would suggest checking the ketones in urine (with a urine dipstick) and if it is positive, seek medical help.

Otherwise, keep drinking plenty of fluids and try to eat small meals and snacks. You may apply a regular insulin now, as the glycemia is high.

Kind regards,
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist