• question-icon

What causes diarrhea, fever and chills?

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hello I believe I had a bout with food poisoning last night. Ate supper and before it even finished the meal I started getting severe cramping in my diaphragm area. This continued for a few hours and progressed to the point were I was almost ready to go to the hospital but then I was able to vomit and that relieved much of the pressure. Then came fever and chills but I never did have diarrhea. Today I feel much better relatively but feel like I've been run over by a truck and very fatigued . I've been sipping water and that is about it and I don't believe I'm dehydrated because I just vomited the one session but now I've noticed my urine is very dark brown
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Increased fluids, rest and good diet is okay!

Detailed Answer:

This is probably food poisoning as opposed to food intolerance. There are no immediate red flags. I recommend increased fluid intake, rest and continued food consumption. All will return to normal within 48-72hours. Also, tylenol 1000mg every 8hours will help with over and body pains.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Keep me updated about your progress. If you have any further concerns, share with me for review and more insights.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
My rheumatologist prescribed Tizanidine 4 mg for my frequent back spasms. I normally take this in the evenings to facilitate sleep. Do you suppose it would be OK to take it this evening or would you expect it to have negative effects on my empty and sensitive digestive system?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Dark colored urine: concentrated urine!

Detailed Answer:

Dark urine observed in a few days is often caused by concentrated urine. If this persist after adequate fluid intake, only then can we think of other possible causes such as jaundice, destroyed muscles, ed blood cells, etc.

For tizanidine, it can be taken with or without food. It has no irritation on the stomach. However, always stick to the same way: With or without food.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Chobufo Ditah