• question-icon

What causes diarrhea, blood in stool and abdominal discomfort?

Posted on Fri, 28 Jul 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: HAD an upset stomach and diaherra Sunday a.m. Nothing too bad. This a.m. I had a bowel movement which had blood. Still have a little stomach /intestinal discomfort. Not previously had any bleeding problem. Had a colonoscopy 9 years ago.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

The most likely cause of the bleeding, if you have had diarrhea and don't have a history of inflammatory bowel disease, is irritation of a hemorrhoid. So if there was bright red blood on the tissue paper, that would most likely be from a hemorrhoid. Diverticulitis is also a possibility, but is lower on my list here. Diverticulitis pain is more persistent, and often there is a fever.

Bleeding from the left side of the colon (which is the part that leads to the exit of the colon) is usually bright red, and from the right side is usually maroon or mixed in with the stool. From higher up, such as the stomach, the bleeding usually appears black and tarry, unless it is a brisk bleed in which case it would be bright red typically copious. The latter does not sound like the situation you are having.

I recommend you get in to see your doctor for exam and to discuss further evaluation. Preferably in the next day or two. If you cannot get in to be seen in that period of time, I recommend going in to an urgent care clinic where they can examine your abdomen for location of pain, and also check for visible inflamed hemorrhoids, which would be the least concerning reason for the bleeding.

Your doctor may want to order a colonoscopy, if a more external source of bleeding (hemorrhoids) is not obvious.

I hope this information helps.

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh