What causes diarrhea, bloating and mucus in stool?

Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis

Posted on Thu, 10 Aug 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Had a colonoscopy in May 2015 and all was fine. Just had annual physical and all blood work was normal. Having bowel changes with only small amounts of fecal material with mucus. When eating I fill up quickly and feel bloated for long periods of time. Have a hiatal hernia for years and treated with omeprozole. History of kidney stone for last 10 years but usually pass. Gained weight over last few months and unable to lose it as in the past. 71 years old male. 5'9" 185 lbs. Normal weight is 160
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
functional disorder, infection or tumor

Detailed Answer:

mucus in the stool may mean a functional disorder like the irritable bowel syndrome (which would be strange if you never had similar symptoms in the past), an infection of the intestine (some parasites may cause increased mucus with diarrhea and bloating) and tumor related (particularly villous adenoma). The negative colonoscopy is very recent and reduces the chances of a tumor but it can't totally exclude it.

If the symptoms are persistent for many weeks then I would suggest a repeat colonoscopy. You can also check your stool for parasites and inflammatory findings.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
You can contact me again, if you'd like any clarification or further information.

Kind Regards!