• question-icon

What causes diarrhea and upper right abdominal pain?

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Yes have an ultrasound that says I have no intrapathic or exrapathic bile duct dialation.But I have constant diarrhea and upper right abdominal pain. What does this mean .Also there were no gallstones found.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
no gallstones blocking the path causing increased pressure and widening

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Gallstones can sometimes become lodged in the bile ducts (passages through which bile passes).
When this happens the ducts become blocked and the area before the block becomes dilated.

Eg if a stone was lodged in a straw blocking the path, the increased pressure before the stone (because of the pressure building up), causing widening.

This means that gallstones are not the cause of the diarrhea or pain unless there were changes noted in the gallbladder itself.

Chronic diarrhea can be due to different causes such as:(1) irritable bowel syndrome
(2)infection
(3)side effect of medication
(4)diabetes affecting the nerves in the GI tract
(5)thyroid disease
(6)inflammatory bowel disease eg crohns disease, ulcerative colitis
(7)food intolerance or food allergy

Stool samples and blood tests (diabetes screening, thyroid screen, complete blood count, ESR), may be needed

If the cause is not obvious and the symptoms distressing then you may need to see a gastroenterologist for assessment.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions

Dr. Michelle Gibson James