• question-icon

What causes diarrhea and stomach discomfort post alcohol consumption?

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hello! I have been having some strange symptoms.

it started about two years ago, when one day out of the blue after drinking alcohol I became extremely ill right after consuming it. ever since then I have not been able to drink alcohol. If I even try a little I become flushed and have severe diarrhea. I also get a burning sensation in my neck and stomach right after a drink. I tried alcohol recently and still get the same thing. I haven't actually been able to drink a full alcoholic beverage in 2 years.

a month ago I noticed a lump under my jaw above my neck about a half an inch big. it doesn't hurt, it's hard, but I can move it around a little. I have a few other little lumps around my neck that are much smaller that dont seem to ever go away.

in the last week I have had extreme itching on my chest, back, hips and legs. I notice the spots that itch have little bright red blood spots. I thought it was dry skin until I saw the bumps. this almsot always only happens at night. during the day I get some itching but not as bad as at night.

I'm 24 years old. thank you!
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need Evaluation.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to Healthcaremagic.
Hi, I am Dr Anshul Varshney , I have read your query in detail , I understand your concern.
You seem to be either having reaction to alcohol or alcohol intolerance.
In such case, my advice for you is to avoid alcohol consumption.
Also you need to check in case you are taking any medicine that is causing you the reaction with alcohol known as Dilsulfiram like reaction.
Now, for the lump on your neck, you need evaluation by Utrasound guided FNAC of the lesion.
You also need complete blood count with ESR to check for any platelet deficiency that is causing you spontaneous rash/ bruise.
These two investigations would give the clear picture.
This is my personal opinion based on details available here. If you still have any other query, you may please ask me.
Stay Healthy.
Dr Anshul Varshney , MD

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Anshul Varshney