What causes diarrhea and stomach cramps?

Dr. Amit Jain

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Hi
I am an RN. I have a problem. I have had uncontrollable diarrhea since March 24th. Then last Sunday Monday and Tuesday I could not have a bowel movement. Since I have I.B.S. and my Sigmoid Colon is adhered to my abdominal wall I am very vigilant about charting and making sure my bowel work properly every day. I don't want to get an obstruction because with the Sigmoid I was told if I get one I would end up with a colostomy. So since I didn't go for 3 days I took laxatives. Then all that came out was fluids. This worried me because that could be a partial obstruction. So the next day I took another dose of laxative. That was last Wedneday. Again watery stool come out only and intestines were severely violent. Since then I have not been able to absorb any food and have constant violent cramps and the minute I try to eat it immediatly comes out. So I am not absorbing any food. I am not dehydrated I am drinking 3 liters of water a day. But can't eat anything and I can't stop the diarrhea. So I called my Gastro doctor and she couldn't see me so she had me see her P.A. She was not very good. She gave me Dicyclomine 10mgs tid. I took a dose at 4pm and then ate rich and a little bit of chicken cut up mixed in. I couldn't eat much and immediately had to go to the bathroom and it was again watery diarrhea and violent cramps and hyperactive bowels. I am getting weak and can not stop the diarrhea. I have a colonoscopy/endoscopy set up for April 26th but I can't go on like this until then. I hae lost 3 pounds in a week. I don't want to let this go on and end up in the hospital so want to know what would you suggest in your opinion to stop this diarrhea that is day and night and I can not eat anything. I need nutrition. I am getting really worried. I have work to do, but can't because can't leave the bathroom. I get very little sleep. Even if the diarrhea was slowed down doesn't make my intestines absorb food. I just want another opinion here before I am in worse trouble. Thank you for your time
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Take tablet loperamide

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thanks for putting your query in HCM. I am a Gastroenterologist.

Diarrhoea associated with cramps is due to some infection or due to overdose of laxative. And from your description it is apparent that it is due to laxative overuse. So first of all stop that.

Take antisecretory agent like tablet loperamide 2mg stat. and then on required basis. four tablets can be taken per day. Continue with good amount of fluid to prevent dehydration.

Take a course of probiotic

Avoid dairy products

Also take electrol powder to prevent electrolyte insufficiency.

May continue with dicyclomine

Get your stool examination and complete haemogram to see if there is any infection. And if it is there take a course of antibiotic like ofloxacin

I hope I have answered your query and this will help you . Wish you a good health
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D