question-icon

What causes diarrhea and pain in lower left abdomen after a partial colectomy?

Posted on Fri, 5 Aug 2016
Question: I recently (4 months ago) underwent a partial colectomy for diverticulitis. Everything was fine almost immediately. Over the past 6 weeks I have had nothing but diahrea, watery at that. I have lost nearly 20 pounds. But, I'm undergoing a tremendous amount of stress as well. I mean tremendous! What is the liklihood that I have a blockage or some complication? I do sometimes get twinges of pain in my lower left quadrant which is where they took out part of the colon.

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Dont think it is related to surgery

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
If this was just partial colectomy without colostomy and with primary anastomosis then these diarrhea is not likely to be related with surgery. Only if more than 2/3 of colon is resected,then such difficulties may occur. Diarrhea may persist for few weeks after surgery but later it should be gone,especially after few months. So this is maybe related to anxiety,certain medications or diet. You should try with probiotics,easier god,boiled meat,fresh vegetables and fruit,avoid coffee,alcohol and carbonated drinks. Also,try to eat smaller meals but more often. if there won't be improvement,you should do colonoscopy and check your stool for parasitic infection. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon