• question-icon

What causes diarrhea and fluctuating consistency in stool while on antibiotics?

Posted on Thu, 26 May 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I was on an antibiotic and a antibacterial 3 weeks ago. Since then I have had diarrhea
and recently my stools come out as round pellets like rabbit droppings only bigger. What is happening?
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Considerations

Detailed Answer:
hello and thank you for sending the question.

Antibiotics can sometimes disturb the normal balance of bacteria in our intestinal system. This can sometimes cause a regular bowel movements including diarrhea and fluctuating consistency of stool.

at this point I would continue to observe. You might try obtaining a probiotic supplement over-the-counter at your local pharmacy. This might help to slowly restore normal bowel function.

if you continue to have diarrhea however I would bring us to the attention of your primary care physician. This might be a sign that a pathologic bacteria called C. Difficile may be the cause. this is a bacteria that can sometimes overgrow when individuals are exposed to antibiotics. If this is the case then a different biotic is sometimes used to help restore normal balance in the colon.

thanks again for sending your question. Again consider trying a probiotic supplement. If diarrhea continues or worsens please check in with your primary care doctor.

Thank you again for sending your question.

Sincerely,

Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Robert Galamaga

Oncologist