What causes diarrhea and flatulence?

Gastroenterologist
Question
For several months I have had very loose bowel movements and embarrassing flatulence. I have had more than one accident, soiling my underwear. I don't have any cramping and have not lost any weight. There have been no changes in my diet or medications.
Posted Fri, 22 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Following causes to loose motion and flatulence...

Detailed Answer:

I am sorry for the situation you are in.

There are various factors contributing to very loose bowel movement and flatulence:
- malabsorption
- food intolerance
- anal incontinence

Further investigations are necessary to run in order to determine the right cause:
- diabetes testing
- colonoscopy
- upper endoscopy
- malabsorption testing
- pancreas/liver function tests
- abdominal ultrasound

Hope it helped!
Dr.Klerida

Follow-up: What causes diarrhea and flatulence? 2 hours later
So, do you recommend I see my family doctor? Is there any reason why I could not postpone see a doctor for a couple months?

Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 3 days later
Brief Answer:
Not advised to wait more time...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

Thank you for following up.

As you are saying that your problems lasted for several months; then, it is time to get further investigations to determine final diagnosis now. My opinion is to get checked now and not to wait for a couple of months.

All the best!
Dr.Klerida