What causes diarrhea and fever post viral infection?

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Infections
Question: My baby girl had an enterovirus infection starting last Saturday (vomiting x1 day, diarrhea x3 days, fever x5 days). I had a fever and headache starting Monday and a low grade fever several times this week (midafternoon almost every day). I have also had no appetite and have barely eaten all week. I was feeling better all day yesterday and had some chicken last night. I went to church and breakfast today. Now, I am having low grade fever and mild diarrhea. Is this likely the same infection or something different? Aside from going to the store for necessities and going for a few walks to get some fresh air, we barely left the house all week and weren't around other people.

This would be day 7 for me. How long should i expect this to last and am I still higlt contagious? Is it ok to take Imodium?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Don't take imodium!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about these symptoms that you have reported. I understand how troubling this can be.

Your story suggests that this diarrhea is most likely caused by viruses. Treatment consists in drinking much water, taking tylenol for pains and fever while the body slowly masterminds and clear the infection. As long as you have symptoms, the chances of shedding the virus in your stool are real and you need to maintain a high level of hand and toilette hygiene so as not to contaminate others. Remember this is solely a transmitted through water, hands and food and not by air.

Please, no imodium. Let the system "wash" out the virus. Imodium would retain it and keep in the body. Your symptoms make it likely that you both are suffering from the same condition.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thanks for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.

Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
How much longer can I expect to feel under the weather? This is day 7 for me. It seems like a long time for an adult to be sick from a simple virus. Is it ok for me to go back to work tomorrow (I work in an office and have been out for a week now.)?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Feel free to return to work!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for following up with me.

I understand your worries about being this sick. Typically, many people do not get up to 7days. Feel free to return to work. Respect good hygienic measures and keep hand shakes at a basic minimum. There would be nothing to be afraid of.

I wish you well. Let me know how well you improve over the next days!