What causes diarrhea and fever after taking polio drops?

Posted on Thu, 18 Feb 2016 in Child Health
Question: hi

This is XXXXXXX

We vaccinated our kid yesterday with oral polio drops and he developed a fever. We gave him Crocin and Meptol syrup.

Today morning he had a loose motion.

Kindly what should be done
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Could be viral diarrhea - Please avoid giving Meftal

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic.
It seems your kid is having viral diarrhoea. Once it starts it will take 5-7 days to completely get better. Unless the kid's having low urine output or very dull or excessively sleepy or blood in motion or green bilious vomiting...you need not worry.

I suggest you use zinc supplements (Z&D drops 1ml once daily for 14 days) & ORS (Each small packet mixed in 200ml of potable water and keep giving sip by sip) as hydration is very important and crucial part of treatment. If there is vomiting you can use Syrup Ondansetron (as prescribed by your paediatrician).

Fever of few days without any localizing signs could as well a viral illness. Usually rather than fever, what is more important is the activity of the child, in between 2 fever episodes on the same day. If the kid is active and playing around when there is no fever, it is probably viral illness.

For fever - Paracetamol can be given in the dose of 15mg/kg/dose (maximum ceiling dose of 500mg) every 4-6th hourly that too only if fever is more than 100 F. You must multiply the weight of your child with 15, that should be the ml given per dosage. I suggest not using combination medicines for fever, especially with Paracetamol.

MEFTAL CONTAINS MEFENAMIC ACID WHICH IS A NSAID. IT CARRIES THE RISK OF GASTRITIS AND RENAL PROBLEMS IN THE LONG RUN. PLEASE DO NOT USE MEFTAL.
Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.
Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology