What causes diarrhea and abdominal pain?

Dr. Samir Patil

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Thu, 6 Nov 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Earlier this year, about March, I started have pain in my side. In May I it got so bad that I went to the ER. They did an ultra sound and a CT scan plus blood work. Nothing was found. A family doctor believed it to be a stomach ulcer. He put me on omeprazole 30mg twice a day. I started feeling better pretty quickly and the pain went down over time but never fully went away. I stopped taking after 2 and a half months. I then moved to XXXXXXX and with still some pains I went to a new doctor here and stated on omeprazole 30mg but only ONCE a day.

Since then I started taking it I have experiencing diarrhea this past month. I did notice that it seemed to come on once I need to take Acyclovir for cold sores. I then went to a specialist who, he of course wants to look with an endoscopy. He seems to think it might be Crohn's Disease. I don’t think so, the only symptoms I am having is pain in the same spot and diarrhea.

Now, the pain I am having sometimes starts in my back, and runs through the front. It runs in a straight line almost like a needle running through me. The pain USUAL gets better after I eat (not always the case).

So….
Could this be Crohn’s?
OR
Could this be an ulcer?
OR
Could this be a gallbladder problem?
Answered by Dr. Samir Patil 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
ulcer and crohn's are possible

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mr XXXXXXX
I have read your description of your symptoms.
The two things we need to rule out are ulcer disease and Crohn's. Diarrhoea and abdominal pain could be a feature of Crohn' s disease. It does not seem to be a gall bladder issue. Another differential would have been pancreatitis but your CT does not indicate presence of pancreatitis.
In brief ulcer disease and crohns are possible and I would advise to get an endoscopy
Hope this helps
Do get back in case you have further queries
Dr Samir Patil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Samir Patil 11 minutes later
I haven't had any other symptoms of Chrohns. For example I haven't had any blood in my stool, Fever and/or fatigue and Diarrhea. My appetite has been fine and weight is constant. Could that still mean that I might have Chrohns?
Answered by Dr. Samir Patil 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
could still be crohns

Detailed Answer:
Hello, blood in stools is seen mostly in crohns disease of the colon and need not be present in all.
I thought you had mentioned than you had been experiencing diarrhoea in the past month.
In fatigue and weight loss are seen in crohs but not a rule.
In case you don't have diarrhoea then we need to Duke out a peptic ulcer disease. Stone in the common bile duct is a possibility and if your endoscopy is normal an ultrasound should be done to rule out gall stones. gall stone is also a possibility( if you've never had diarrhea) as stones in the bile duct can be missed on a CT
Hope this helps
Dr Samir Patil
Follow up: Dr. Samir Patil 17 hours later
A surgan sudjest a hydrascan. Would that be worth a try?
Answered by Dr. Samir Patil 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes if endoscopy is normal

Detailed Answer:

I would go for an endoscopy first and the get a HIDA scan in case the endoscopy is normal. A HIDA. Scan is used to evaluate the functioning of the gall bladder it is used in those cases where the cause of the pain is not clear on ct/ultrasound. It might help to detect cholecystitis( gallbladder inflammation)
Hope this helps
Dr Samir Patil
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T