What causes diarrhea and abdominal pain after taking Senna supplements?

Dr. Amit Jain

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Can continuous use of senna tea and other med,s listed in my profile. Suddenly cause severe stomach pain and a liquid mucous you stool for 20 hours? I have had no trouble like this for a couple of years since
I had an ulcer cured two years agp
Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Senna can cause both stomach pain and liquid mucus

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Thanks for putting your query in HCM. I am Dr.Amit Jain (DM, Gastroenterologist). The breakdown products of senna act directly as irritants on the colonic wall to induce fluid secretion and increase colonic motility so it can cause cause diarrhea, loss of fluids, and abdominal pain or cramping. So if it is troubling you please avoid it. Now coming to metamucil, it is fibre supplement and it acts by bulking the stool, so if it is not working one way is to increase the dose of metamucil or by taking lots of fruits and vegetables and lots of fluid in your diet. The other way is use other laxative like combination of lactitol and fibres like lactifibre, or polyethyleneglycol. I found both these very useful in my patients. According to the severity of constipation or response to these medicine you may opt for them and titrate their dose accordingly. You may also discuss with your doctor regarding there dosage and use and get prescription.
I hope I have answered your query. If you have any further query I will be happy to answer that too. Wish you a good health
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar