What causes diarrhea along with gas?

Dr. Shinas Hussain

Posted on Wed, 6 Jun 2018 in General Health
Question: My husband has watery , gasious bowel movements quite frequently and this has been going on for about l month. He has no pain or discomfort in his gut. He is 85 and has never had a colonoscopy He is in good health and takes no medications
Answered by Dr. Shinas Hussain 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It could be due to irritable bowel syndrome(IBS)

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting healthcaremagic!
I have gone through your query and I can understand your concerns.
As per your descrip[tion it seems that you are having a condition called IBS. Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a common disorder that can cause unexplained diarrhoea and discomfort for months.
Most of the cases improves with dietary changes and no medications are needed. You can change to fibre rich diet containing fruits and vegetables. Try relaxation techniques like yoga and meditations. In some cases drugs like antispasmodics and and antidepressants may be needed. Discontinuation of proton pump inhibitors like pantoprazole may be benefited.
If symptoms persist, detailed evaluation may be needed to rule out other conditions like colon cancer, carcinoid, colitis etc. In that case it is bette to consult a gastroenterologist.
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Shinas Hussain 5 hours later
Widows stress contr. Does stress contribute to this issue? How long before he contacts a gastroenterologist. They will probably want to do a colonoscopy Is that wise at his age. He has never had one and he is also showing some signs of dementia
Answered by Dr. Shinas Hussain 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Stress can contribute/aggravates the symptoms

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow up.
Stress or anxiety can aggravates the symptoms. That’s why patients are benefitted with low potency anti anxiety drugs.
It will be better to go for colonoscopy so that we can rule out conditions like colon cancer and colitis. Colonoscopy is a relatively safe procedure. However you have to get a cardio clearance as his age is on higher side.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana