What causes diarrhea after travelling?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Just returned from France a week ago. Bowel movement normal while away. Since back stools soft, more frequent and paler in colour and I have reflux.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
travelling diarrhea reflux needs management

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking
Travelling does that to a person quite often.if there has been no issue with bowel movements before or no functional bowel like ibs etc then don't worry this loose motion bout will resolve.just relax sit back drink electrolytes for rehydration and use BRAT diet ( banana , rice , applesauce and toast )for the comfort.increase fiber intake. It will resolve on a few days.
Now the reflux. So that needs a complete diet and lifestyle modification.

80 percent resolve by simple modifications i am going to mention and rest 18 out of 20 percent respond to conservative measures like medicines and modifications. Only 2 % need intervention.

the only thing you need to start with is modifying diet and lifestyle and adapt gut friendly measures to help this issue.

Lose your weight. If your BMI is 25 or above you need to lose weight. Calculate you BMI Here  http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/obesity/BMI/bmi-m.htm Alcohol ? say no to it. Now is the time. Get sign up to Alcohol Anonymous and seek help to gradually resolve this addiction. Booze will ooze the health out of you.Coffee,Chocolates, citrus juices, tomato based products like ketchups, sauces, pastes etc, Peppermints, all the onion family, beans are some of the diet you need to avoid to relieve symptoms. If you are fond of eating, time to stop it. reduce diet intake, instead of increasing the quantity, increase the frequency, 5 times short meals instead of 3 bigger ones will be better. If you sleep just after or with in 3 hours of meal intake, this habit needs to be stopped. Increase the interval. When you sleep, elevating the head side of the bed at least 8 inches would be a good addition to the plan to combat GERD. Bending and stooping and upside down hangings with all other unnatural postures need to be avoided.

If the above mentioned precautions are not enough to get you out of the trouble then you need to opt for medicines. Never try to self medicate yourself. Remember every drug is a poison and every poison is a drug. SO seek the gastroenterologist or primary care provider for this and let it be there business. Proton Pump Inhibitors, Histamine receptors type 2 blockers, Pro kinetic agents like aluminium hydroxide and ant acids would be the list of medicines to opt from.
I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and don't forget to close the discussion please.
May the odds be ever in your favour.
Regards XXXXXXX