What causes diarrhea after taking Bactrim and Cephalexin?

Excellent

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
Question
I've been taking bactrim& cephalexin for #3 days now for a case of cellulitis. today..I began having diarrhea. it's not severe. is this normal?
Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Both may cause diarrhea.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic. Both these drugs can cause diarrhea. If this is only mild, I suggest you continue with the medication and ensure you maintain good hydration with plenty of water.
I hope this is of help. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger

Follow-up: What causes diarrhea after taking Bactrim and Cephalexin? 7 minutes later
should I still take my vitamins while taking the antibiotics? my doctor didn't ask me if I was taking any. I take a multivitamin, vitamin c, garlic, folic acid.
and would yogurt be good for helping with the diarrhea?

Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the further question. Yes continue your vitamins. Yoghurt will not necessarily improve the diarrhea but it is OK to take.
Dr K A Pottinger