What causes diarrhea after taking Bactrim and Cephalexin?

Dr. Kerry Pottinger

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist

Posted on Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: I've been taking bactrim& cephalexin for #3 days now for a case of cellulitis. today..I began having diarrhea. it's not severe. is this normal?
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Both may cause diarrhea.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic. Both these drugs can cause diarrhea. If this is only mild, I suggest you continue with the medication and ensure you maintain good hydration with plenty of water.
I hope this is of help. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger
Follow up: Dr. Kerry Pottinger 7 minutes later
should I still take my vitamins while taking the antibiotics? my doctor didn't ask me if I was taking any. I take a multivitamin, vitamin c, garlic, folic acid.
and would yogurt be good for helping with the diarrhea?
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the further question. Yes continue your vitamins. Yoghurt will not necessarily improve the diarrhea but it is OK to take.
Dr K A Pottinger