What causes diarrhea after every meal?
if acute, infection is the most common cause
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic
Infection of the GI tract is the most common cause of an acute (recent, short term) diarrhea.
Acute diarrhea means that it has been going on for less than 4 weeks.
Infection can be viral or bacterial, viral is the more common.
During an infection, the bowel is not able to absorb foods so diarrhea occurs. You may want to consider the following:
(a)resting the bowel- use fluids to make sure that you stay hydrated but hold off solid food.
In general this is done till there is a 4 hour window with no symptoms
(b)over the counter aids like peptobismol or lomotil may help
(c)probiotics- these have been shown to decrease diarrhea- can be used on their own on in yogurts with probiotics
If the diarrhea has been occurring for more than 4 weeks then it would be considered chronic.
Causes include: (a)infection
(b)irritable bowel syndrome
(c)hormone causes like high levels of thyroid hormone
(e)inflammatory bowel disease- crohns or ulcerative colitis
(f)side effect of medication
(g)food allergy or sensitivity
If this is the case, and the diarrhea has been ongoing for 4 weeks or more then you should see your doctor.
You would need to be examined and a stool sample sent to the lab.
Blood tests would also be needed
SUMMARY: (1) if recent , more likely due to infection- rest bowel , use enough fluids, probiotics, over the counter meds
Restart food after 4 hours of no symptoms
(2)if long term/chronic- would need to be examined
I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What is the cause of bleeding after diarrhea
- What causes diarrhea after taking aloevera
- What causes diarrhea after meth binge
- What causes diarrhea immediately after taking food
- What causes continuous diarrhea
- What causes diarrhea after taking probiotics
- What causes mucus discharge after diarrhea
- What causes stomach pains and diarrhea after eating
- What causes diarrhea after eating
- What causes diarrhea even after stopping novamox