What causes diarrhea after eating in an elderly person?

Dr. Arnab Banerjee

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Sat, 27 Aug 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am 53 years old and since day before my stomach for upset.. Because of Loose motions,cramps and heart burn I am not able to eat anything. Stomach has swollen like a balloon. Took Norflox TZ and velgut. Not much improvement.Could not visit doc as today being Sunday. Have migraine problem too as could not eat well. Just took Rizact. Pls help me with suggestion of what to eat and any other medicine to be taken. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Arnab Banerjee 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Follow the Advises..

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX, Welcome to HCM,

I've gone through your query and understand your concern,

First of all, try to find out if loose motion particularly started after having any particular food or not, as from your description it seems like Acute gastroenteritis (stomach bug), which doesn't need antibiotic therapy as a primary management..but since you've already started Norflox-TZ please continue twice daily for at least 5 days..

Secondly, the most important thing right now is to provide adequate hydration to compensate for the ongoing losses, so please get WHO-ORS packet and empty it in 2 liter of mineral water and have it within 2 hr, repeat the same but have it within next 4 hr and the same and have it within next 6-8 hrs..

Please let me know a few more details i.e. how is the motion- completely watery/mild ?

Color of the motion ? How many times have happened so far ?

Any other problems ?

Apart from migraine, do you have any other medical ailments ?

First 24-48 hrs is extremely important in this aspect and mostly it gets subsided within this time span only..

So just be vigilant about it and let me know those answers so that I can guide you accordingly..

Be very cautious about the water and drink only Mineral / U.V.R.O purified water only..

Maintain strict hand washing and hand hygiene with anti-bacterial hand wash solutions..

If it's extremely watery but no bloody/reddish, and frequency seems to be increasing , then you can try Cap REDOTIL (RECECADOTRIL) 100 mg three times day for next 2-3 days.. but Don't take it if there's any suspicion of having any bloody/reddish loose motion and / fever ..

For heartburn, take Cap PANTOPRAZOLE/DOMPERIDONE 20/10 mg (PAN-D) twice daily in empty stomach 20 min before breakfast & dinner for next 7 days..

Have plenty of water in between the ORS..

As for food, in acute phase, you should be eating only bland/semisolid home cooked meals, eg. whole grain foods, porridge, curd, yogurt, soups etc. , avoid having any heavy/complex foods.. don't consume milk directly, do take yogurt..

Give it another 24 hrs, and if still no improvement is shown, then I'd suggest a visit to your nearest Doctor for a clinical examination and a stool routine microscopy and culture sensitivity examination to rule out few important tropical bugs..

Let me know if there's any further query, i'll be glad to clarify..

Do let me know how you stay in the due course..

Take Care
Kind Regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee