question-icon

What causes diabetes?

Posted on Thu, 2 Jul 2015
Question: diabetes
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah (18 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
What do you wish to know about Diabetes?

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

Diabetes is a broad subject. I will like to know what you desire to learn about diabetes.

In summary, diabetes means there is too much sugar in blood. This manifests with the urge to urinate often in huge volumes, always feeling thirsty and drinking so much water. it affects both the young and old. There are grossly two types: Type 1 and type 2.

Those at risk of having diabetes are persons whose parents have diabetes, they are overweight or obese, do not exercise often, eat junk food, etc.

To say you have diabetes, we do a blood test and depending on the result, we would say you have it or not. Treatment is great and when well treated, you would live as long as any other person.

Main treatment consists of healthy diet, regular exercise and drugs.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thanks for using our services and do feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.
Dr. Ivo Ditah