What causes depression while on anabolic steroid?

Dr. Chintan Solanki

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 23 Feb 2015 in Sexual Health
Question: Hi

I am on a course of anabolic steroids, and am still on the cycle. Usually, in my understanding, depression is only a side effect once one comes off. However, I have developed symptoms of depression, which over the last 2 weeks have gone from mild to severe.

Is it safe for me to go onto an anti-depressant like Welbutrin? It was suggested to me by a therapist.
Answered by Dr. Chintan Solanki 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can take welbutrin but after consultation of a psychiatrist

Detailed Answer:

I can understand your concern. Many patients on anabolic steroid get depression.
You are right that if symptoms are there since more than 2 weeks, it requires treatment.

Wellbutrin is a good drug and it has no significant interaction with steroid. It is almost safe to take it.

I would like to say that any anti depressant should be taken after consulting psychiatrist. Your diagnosis of depression can be confirmed and you can have prescription of antidepressant.
All medicines have own side effetcs. By chance any significant side effect occurs, your treating psychiatrist can help you immediately.
For how much duration should it be taken, how to stop and if not responding to some anti depressant , what other medicines can be given etc all depend on severity of depression.Psychiatrist can help in such aspects.

Psychotherapy and behaviour therapy also can help and may decrease the need of medicines.You can simultaneously go for that.
If your therapist is not psychiatrist , please consult psychiatrist and go ahead.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be happy to help further.

Dr.Chintan Solanki.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D