question-icon

What causes depression and tiredness in a person with thyroid disorder?

Posted on Tue, 19 May 2015
Question: Dr. Gaman had me on levothyroid 200 mcg. lpa put me on matur-synthroid 0.35 is this the reason for me being tired, depressed and crying.
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai (51 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Hypothyroidism can cause depression.But other causes to be ruled out

Detailed Answer:
Good day,
Hypothyroidism can cause depression. Did you mean that your doctor changed 200 mcg levothyroxine to natural thyroid preperation ( Armour thyroid) ? When dose was altered, it is quite possible for you to develop low thyroid hormone levels. This can cause depression.

A thyroid blood test will reveal your current hormone status. However, other causes of depresion should be looked in to.
Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai

Endocrinologist