What causes depression and heaviness in legs while on birth control pills?

Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Women's Health
Question: Since July 1st, I started a new birth control pill called Monastrin 24 FE due to my not having periods for over 2 years and having PCOS. My OBGYN did check my levels and everything looked good and I am not into menopause yet (37 yrs old). Initially, the first three weeks on the bcp pill was fine - no nausea, acne cleared up, slower hair regrowth. My first period came and went in four days. Since the end of week 3 on the first packet and all throughout the second packet, my depression is horrible and I am having awful thoughts. My gastro and gall bladder problems have returned and I am in deep pain. My legs and chest feel heavy and bloated. I went to the ER two days ago with chest pain, woke up with horrible gall bladder pain on right ribcage. After taking a chest x-ray, the doctor discovered a "pulmonary nodule" and told me that my blood work level of D-Dimer 245 was elevated, which led her to take another x-ray to make sure I wasn't having a pulmonary embolism. My instructions were to follow up with my PCP (which I am next week) and to go to a pulmonary doctor. Should I stop taking the birth control pill now? I am afraid the pill may have triggered this pulmonary thing which sounds kind of scary to me.
Answered by Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would suggest stopping them

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear and thanks for your query.

I'm sorry for the scenario you are in ,but hope for the best .

If you were my patient in my clinic I would ask you to stop the use of Minastrin because it is a combined birth control and it contains 2 hormones: norethindrone (a progestin) and ethinyl estradiol (an estrogen).
All the symptoms you have reported, like depression, gall bladder pain etc can be explained as side effects from the use of Minastrin 25.

While the doctor have make sure that you haven't had pulmonary embolism ,don't worry so much. The chances are very very low and as long as your breathing and heart rate are in normal ranges, the chances of a pulmonary embolism are remote.

I will recommended you to contact with your treating gynecologist and to change birth control as soon as you can. I would give them a call if at all possible. Until then, abstaining from sex and barrier devices would be a safer birth control methods in the short term.

All the best
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 11 minutes later
Thank you so much for your answer and guidance about the side effects. I'm sure my OB GYN will understand but she is frustrated that I cannot get on a bcp and stay on one until I am at least 45 years old. Many of her other patients can take the pills that long but so far they do not work for me.

Thank you again for letting me know about the remote chances of the pulmonary embolism. I was confused what what is exactly a pulmonary nodule? Is it a spot or shadow that could potentially turn into something bad, like cancer, down the road? Or can it just resolve itself and go away?
Answered by Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
You should choose between use or not use them

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear again!

First:
I understand your health issue. But you should choose between use or not use them; or supporting side effects and having periods versus not having side effects and not having periods.

But having no periods have more side effects.
Hence discuss with your follow-up gynecologist for a better alternative .
If I was your follow-up doctor I would suggest you to try only with progesterone,that have less side effects.

Second:
A nodule is a "spot on the lung," seen on an X-ray or computed tomography (CT) scan.
In fact, a nodule shows up on about one in every 500 chest X-rays.

Your lung nodule is more likely to be benign if:

You are a nonsmoker.
There is calcium in the nodule.
The nodule is small.

A benign (good)lung tumor is an abnormal growth of tissue that serves no purpose and is found not to be cancerous. Benign lung tumors may grow from many different structures in the lung.
Determining whether a nodule is a benign tumor or an early stage of cancer is very important.
That's because early detection and treatment of lung cancer can greatly enhance your survival.
That's why you should contact with an pulmonologist to determine the cause of this pulmonary nodule.

All the best

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad