What causes depression and anxiety?

Posted on Sat, 19 Apr 2014 in Mental Health
Question: I'm suicidal and severely depressed. I wasn't depressed until I started taking propranolol, but I stopped taking it and continue to be depressed. I have anxiety episodes that come and go followed by depressive moods. This is very unusual behavior for me. I went form being positive, happy and optimistic to this. This event triggers my anxiety and depression - I went on a bus that had very strong oil or fuel fumes - I got on and could taste it in my mouth. No windows were open and I was on there for 20 minutes. It keeps coming into my thoughts because I am in fear that the fumes damaged my brain. I know these thoughts are irrational but they are controlling my life. I don't know why there has been a dramatic change in my character. The only way for me to move on is if I can find out that the fumes didn't hurt my brain.
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Fumes have not hurt your brain Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. From what you have stated it is quite clear that you are having a depressive episode. Depression can occur with regular stress and it can also occur biologically without any stress as well. Fuel fumes can definitely not cause brain damage. Another close possibility is that probably the use of propranolol has led to the causation of depression. It is one of its known side-effect. You need proper treatment for the same. There are various effective therapies for depression like fluoxetine, venlafaxine, bupropion, mirtazapine or escitalopram and they are all very effective and mostly safe. You may also require some benzodiazepines like clonazepam or lorazepam for a short period like 2-3 weeks to reduce the anxiety and help with your sleep. If you are averse to the drug therapies then there is also an option of cognitive behavioural therapy. This therapy is taken by either a psychologist or a psychiatrist in which the therapist identifies impaired cognitions (Thoughts) and try to correct them. They are 15-20 min weekly session and there should be around 8-10 sessions to help you with your illness. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.
Dr. Srikanth Reddy

Psychiatrist