What causes depression after quitting alcohol?

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor

Psychiatrist

Posted on Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My pulse is 109. My heart rate is 152/94. I am a recovering alcoholic and had a relapse. I also smoke electronic cigarettes and have clinical depression and anxiety disorder. Is this due to my relapse?
Thanks
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Kapoor 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Try some antidepressant

Detailed Answer:
HI
Thanks for using healthcare magic. I, Dr Abhishek Kapoor, would help you in this query.

In depression, anxiety symptoms and drinking increases. In your case, these symptoms could be due to depression. In majority of cases, depression leads to increase in relapse and anxiety symptoms. You need antidepressant like escitalopram to control such symptoms. It would help to control both depressive symptoms and relapse due to depression.

Better to consult a psychiatrist for proper management. If you need further help, you can ask.

Dr. Abhishek Kapoor
Psychiatrist