What causes dental pain on both sides, fever, headaches and diarrhea?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi I had an infection approximately 11 weeks ago, my symptoms were sore throat, fever, headaches,diahorrea, around the same time the lymph nodes in my neck came up, which were moveable but firm/hard. The symptoms subsided about 9days later but the hard nodes in my neck are still up. I had an ultrasound scan and they recorded the largest as being 10mm. They told my gp they would only repeat the scan if they grew any bigger. To date they have not. I have a history of sinus infections and in the last few weeks I have noticed tooth pain on both sides intermittently and am guessing this is due to my sinuses as I have been to the dentist recently and no problems there. My worry now is nasal sinus cancer. Should I be worried? And if it were a sinus tumour would the toothache only be on the side where the tumour is? Please help as I am a single mum of 2 young children. Many thanks, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 9 hours later
Brief answer....get yourself evaluated by an ENT specialist
Detailed answer...
I have read your query and understand your concern.
Sinusitis is notorious to cause dental pain on both sides.
If your dentist has cleared you it means that you are not having a dental problem but a sinus problem.
Symptoms of sinus blockage and sinus tumors can not be differentiated sometimes but occurence of sinus cancer is very rare.
Sinus tumour can cause pain on same side as well as both sides of face.
In my opinion you must consult an ENT who will examine you properly and ask for the investigations like X ray or CT sinus,if he suspects anything.
You can even be subjected to nasal endoscopy which can make your ENT visualise inside of your sinuses by an endoscope.
It is better to get evaluated and cleared by an ENT and have peace of mind rather than scaring yourself daily.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks

Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 7 hours later
Hi and thanks for your reply. In your professional opinion do the hard lymph nodes in my neck point more in the direction of a tumour than a sinus infection? And would the toothache be constant if it were. Thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 52 minutes later
If your hard lymph nodes were due to cancer,you would have had advanced symptoms of nasal cancer like repeated bleeding from nose,some swelling on face etc.
These lymph nodes are present because of persistent upper respiratory tract infection and sinusitis and generally remain there for many months after the infection is gone.
And yes your tooth pain would have been not only constant but worse also. 
In my opinion,you simply have chronic sinusitis and not any sinus tumour or cancer,however an ENT evaluation would clear the whole picture.
Thanks
Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta