• question-icon

What causes delayed speech development and intermittent non-responsiveness in a toddler?

Posted on Tue, 25 Jul 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hi doctor I'm crying since 2 days my kid is 2 years 3 months still says couple of words and some times he'll not respond to his name also apart from that he s very good in observing playful. Does it autistic. Apart from that if we say bye tata response s good .Kindly say me .We don't have family autism history
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Answering M-CHAT should resolve your queries

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. The mentioned details do not definitely point to autism spectrum disorders (ASD). However, I would insist you to answer the M-CHAT questionnaire (available at https://www.m-chat.org/mchat.php ) and that will help in ruling out the possibility of ASD.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 5 hours later
Ok Sir but few questions I'm not sure to answer at this stage because some times he will do some times he will not do .Like some times he 'll listen to my direction some times he will not how do I conclude with that questionnaire
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Answer what is most likely

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back. I would still encourage you to complete the questionnaire. I would insist you to answer what is the more probable in the case of your child. If you think that he is more likely to do something (although he does not always do it) answer it accordingly.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 9 minutes later
If I do Risk for Autism is coming but I don't think he s autistic child because he s very active good eye contact good in observing only thing he'll not respond to name and wen we point to object he'll not listen most of the time whether this both diagnose autism .We don't have any genetic history of autism and his birth was normal
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need to stimulate the child to talk. Talk to him constantly.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks again for writing back.

Thanks for clarifying. If he has good eye contact he is unlikely to be autistic and that clears a lot of anxiety.

However, if he is late at speech and language development, he needs continuous stimulation and encouragement to talk. You (or the other people around him) need to constantly keep talking to him in an interactive manner. A speech and language pathologist (SLP) can help you training this further. Early detection and early intervention are very crucial in order to ensure a favorable outcome.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 7 minutes later
If he call he 'll not respond some time but wen we say Tata bye he 'll not respond instantly. He 'll watch more tv is it because of that .And most of the time we will call with him using pet names. I'm very anxious about this
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
TV has a grossly negative impact on development.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks again for writing back.

Please try to eliminate TV from the schedule. TV is only going to make the situation worse. Rather, you need to ensure an inter-personal touch and communication channel. As such it is not worrisome if the child does not respond to such calls but nevertheless, you need to keep interacting continuously.

This is the way out.

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician