• question-icon

What causes delayed periods?

Posted on Thu, 5 Feb 2015 in Women's Health
Question: Hi, I had unprotected sex exactly one week ago 12/01/15. 30 hours later I took lovenell 1500. My period was due today 19/01/15 Last 2 days I've only had a light brown smear on wiping reducing to nothing....and no period as of yet. Normally I have a show within 24 hours and my period is here fully. Done a pregnancy test today 19/01/15 (exactly one week after sex and on taking MAP) and showed negative...however I took the test lunchtime. Why hasn't my period started properly, I am usually very regular and generally start with a little show, within 24 hours my period in full flow. Why hasn't this happened yet? Am I pregnant?? Or have I taken a test too early? Also I have been very anxious and stressed awaiting my period. Is ther any chance I am pregnant? I do normally suffer stress and it tends not affect my period. Also I have felt extremely hormonal and crying usually a sign before my period....unfortunatly my period still hasn't arrived???? Please help? Am I pregnant? What is your professionally experienced insight regards my situation?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pregnancy less likely.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The slight discharge and the delay in the periods is likely to be due to the hormonal tablet that you took after the unprotected sex.
It can delay your periods by a week or more. You need to wait for a week and see if the periods start spontaneously. In case there are no periods then do take a pregnancy test at least 10-12 days after the unprotected sex so that you get a reliable result.
The chances of pregnancy are low. Stress also adds to the delay of periods. Feeling depressed is normal after taking such high dose hormonal pills.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal
Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN