What causes delayed periods?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
I had protected sex on XXXXXXX 22 and 23. I got my period on July 6th as expected, it was a regular cycle and I have not had sex since. I've taken 3 pregnancy tests between XXXXXXX 24th and July 16th and have all come out negative yet for some reason I am worried. My question is should I be worried if for some reason I do not get my period is August even though I have not been active since?
Posted Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
NO REASON TO SUSPECT PREGNANCY

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
No, there is no cause for concern in your case.
Firstly, there is no reason for you not to have a period in August.
You already had one after the sex ( which also was not unprotected ) sot here is no question of a pregnancy.
If you had conceived on the 22nd and 23rd of XXXXXXX you would not have had a period in July.
So please stop worrying.
Even if you skip a period in August for other reasons ( stress, anxiety , exercise, weight changes, etc ) there is no reason to suspect a pregnancy if you have not had sex since XXXXXXX
Please feel free to discuss further.