What causes delayed periods?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2013
Mar 2013
Question
Hi , I'm 23 years old , weigh 57 and i'm 5'5 I usually have a pretty healthy diet , have junk food maybe once a week . For the first time I have not got my periods . I was supposed to get it by 5th but I did not , hence I approached a Gynac and she asked me to take a pregnancy test on the 10th of July as I had sex on the 25th of XXXXXXX . Both urine and blood tests were negative . I had also taken a thyroid and hemoglobin and both results were normal . She then asked me to take regesterone tablets 3 for 3 days and told me that within 10 days I would get my periods . I had finished my last dosage of the tablet on Sunday the 13th of July , Since then my breasts feel tender , I have a slight burning sensation in my stomach and sometimes I feel little light headed and Pukish . Please help me out I've been really stressed lately also cause she asked me to scan for PCOS and it's really really scaring me .
Posted Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
WAIT FOR A FEW MORE DAYS, RELAX

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
As the urine and blood tests are negative, do not worry about a pregnancy.
There are other reasons for a delayed period, such as - stress, anxiety, weight changes, exercise, travelling, smoking, drinking, late nights, drugs etc.
Mild hormonal disturbance can delay your cycle and a course of Regestrone ( progesterone ) corrects that.
You would mostly bleed within a week of stopping Registrone.
Ideally it should be prescribed for 5 days, not 3 days.
Since you have stopped on the 13th of July, please be patient and wait till the 20th of July for your periods, I think you have all pre menstrual sensations and you will have your period by then.
PCOS is one condition that can cause delayed periods, so scanning for that is a good idea.
Do not stress out as it will further disturb your cycles.
All the best
Please feel free to discuss further.