What causes delayed periods with negative UPT?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Tue, 26 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: hi,
I am 26 yrs old married women.
I haven't got my periods since last two month I have checked for pregnancy test also but its negative.
actually I am having irregular periods problem.
if u can help me with the same as I am planning for a baby.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
need blood tests and ultrasound

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

There are different causes for irregular periods. The most common causes are
(1)pregnancy, this would have been checked by your pregnancy tests.

Pregnancy tests can say a woman is pregnant by day 11 to 14 after the baby is conceived. If you did the test after this time, then it is likely accurate

(2) polycystic ovarian syndrome (also called PCOS)- this is a very common cause of irregular periods.

it is diagnosed if at least 2 of these are present:(a) history of irregular or delayed periods (b) cysts seen on the ovaries when an ultrasound is done (c) blood tests showing high levels of male type hormones (women normally have small amount) or hair on chest/chin/abdomen, acne, male type baldness

PCOS is treated by weight loss, metformin. If the two of these are not enough to bring regular periods then medications such as clomid is added.

(3) high prolactin- this is a hormone in the body. If it is too high, it can cause irregular periods

(4)abnormal levels of thyroid hormone can also cause problems with the period

(5)emotional stress

(6)physical illness or stress

To find out the reason for your delayed periods, you would need blood tests to check for hormone levels ( thyroid hormone, prolactin and testosterone). You would also need an ultrasound to take a look at the uterus and ovaries.

Summary: There are different causes- pregnancy, PCOS, high prolactin,abnormal thyroid hormone.
Would need tests to find exact cause

The treatment would depend on the result of the tests

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions