What causes delayed periods while on Deviry?

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Women's Health
Question: Hi
I had taken 3 ipiils in a month of July
I got my periods in August but the flow was very less/negligible
I didn't got my periods in September
I got checked from Doctor and she did Blood Test and Pregnancy Test which was negative
She prescibed me Deviry.
It has been 9 days but the periods are not coming
I am having abdominal pain similar to periods but no periods.
My question is:
1.. As per my understanding, the periods should come within 10 days. And if they are not coming in 10 days what will be the probable cause and the probable course of treatment
2 can there be a case of ovarial suppression
3. What are the possible diseases that can happen
is there something to worry about ?

I already consulted a doctor from this forum and she mentioned in July that ovarial suppression is unlikely. Erratic spotting can occur, However the problem seems to be severe in this case
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hormonal disturbance likely

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear, I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
I will answer your questions as you asked.
1. Delayed periods can be due to pregnancy, stress, or hormonal disturbances like hypothyroidism, hyperprolactinemia or polycystic ovarian disease.
As your urine pregnancy test is negative, the possibility of pregnancy is ruled out.
I suggest you to get your hormonal profile done including thyroid function test, prolactin levels and an ultrasound done to confirm the diagnosis.
Further treatment should be done according to the diagnosis.
2. Ovarian suppression by i pill is unlikely after 2-3 months of its intake. I pill generally delays the next expected period, but not after that.
3. The possible causes can be : Hypothyroidism, hyperprolactinemia, Polycystic ovarian disease, and rarely Cushings disease.
I suggest you not to worry, and get the investigations done.
If the above tests are normal, then you should get serum FSH and LH levels done (blood hormone test) to confirm any suspected ovarian suppression.
Hope you found the answer helpful. Please get back to me for further queries.
You can get back to me with the reports later by asking a direct question to me on the health care magic portal.
Dr Deepti Verma
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 7 minutes later
Thanks for the prompt reply

Ovarian Suppression is not possible. Please correct me if i am wrong

Also,
Hypothyrodisim - Related to Thyroid disease in which the person gets fat. does it happen because of IPill -> or harmonal imbalance caused because of it
What is the duration of its treatment

hyperprolactinemia - what happens in this disease?

Polycystic ovarian disease - Is it PCOD?

what is the overall treatment duration?

Will there be any long term effects?

is the pain related to periods or just a side effect?

Can periods come in another day or two as the pain is continuous from almost 4 days
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear, you are correct, ovarian suppression is not possible for such a prolonged time.
Hypothyroidism is associated with decreased thyroid hormone levels and obesity, lethargy and tiredness.No, it do not occurs because of I pill. The treatment is thyroid hormone replacement, which is taken for lifetime.
Hyperprolactemia is associated with increased prolactin hormone levels which cause irregular and delayed periods.
Yes, polycystic ovarian disease is PCOD.
The treatment duration is depending upon the symptoms of disease, and its improvement by medication.
No, there will be long term effects of these diseases are treated timely and properly.
The pain you are having can be premenstrual pain, as withdrawal periods from Deviry can occur upto 10 days after taking the tablets.
Hope you found the answer helpful. Please do get back for further queries.
Dr Deepti Verma
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 12 minutes later
So,

PCOD is likely rt?
But i was quite regular in my periods earlier..i have been doing regular exercise, can it be still be PCOD..
Hyperprolactemia -> the increase in levels of hormone is because of intake of IpIll ?
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not due to i pill

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear, PCOD can occur anytime. PCOD and hyperprolactemia are hormonal disturbances, and do not occur due to I pill.
Dr Deepti Verma