What causes delayed periods after taking I pill?

Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju

Posted on Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Birth Control
Question: I had unprotected sex(not sure with the sperm injection) with my girlfriend on XXXXXXX 12th.4th day of her period. She took i-pill the next day. Her periods are getting delayed this month i. e July she is takin mentovitis plus. Is she pregnant? ? How to avoid pregnancy.when Will she get her periods ?

Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
No chances of pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:

You mentioned you had intercourse 4th day of her period, it means her menstrual cycle started on 9th of XXXXXXX So there is no chance of getting pregnancy. Moreover she took i-pill (levonorgestrel 1.5) within 24 hours, it is 95% effectively prevents pregnancy.

Levenorgestrel is progesterone hormone, it causes changes in uterus which is not conducive for pregnancy. These changes may cause irregular periods. Hence her periods are delayed.

I would suggest wait for one month and if she does not get periods she need to visit a doctor.
Avoid stress.

To avoid pregnancy you need choose birth control methods like barrier methods like condoms or birth control pills (Oral contraceptive pills). Her gynecologist will know about it.
i-pill, this is only used as emergency contraceptive.It should not use for long term.

If she is not convinced she can take an urine pregnancy test to rule out pregnancy.

Hope I have answered your query.
If you ave any questions I will b happy to help you.
Thank you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad